It’s hard to find a person who doesn’t enjoy ice cream. Ice cream is a favorite among people of all ages. Ice cream is one of those things in life that always brings back good memories with family and friends. Ice cream is fun to eat, but there are a lot of other fun things about ice cream you may not know. Here are some interesting facts about ice cream.
Regarding the history of ice cream, no one really knows who invented ice cream. The Romans were known to mix snow with fruit and honey. The Chinese were said to have combined snow with rice milk to make a creamy desert which Marco Polo brought to Europe.
Until the late 1800s, ice cream was seen as a luxurious desert that only the most elite could enjoy. It was considered rare and exotic.
In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day.
Not quite sure how they can verify this but apparently it takes about 50 licks to lick away one scoop of ice cream. Here are some other quick facts about ice cream.
- Sunday is the day of the week when the most ice cream is bought
- The most ice cream is eaten by kids aged 2 to 12 and adults over the age of 45
- 13 percent of men admit to licking their ice cream bowl clean, while only 8 percent of women admit the same
- Chocolate syrup is the most popular ice cream topping
- Between -5 and 0 degrees F seems to be the ideal temperature for storing ice cream
The United States has the worlds highest per capita consumption of ice cream, with each American consuming an average of 48 pints per year.
Ice cream is loved by most people, and now we can see some of the reasons why. Go out and get some today.